New Faculty Orientation Program
Welcome to the University of Virginia School of Medicine!
We offer many opportunities and services to guide and support you on your successful journey with the UVA School of Medicine. During your first year, we strongly recommend that all new faculty attend our full-day Orientation Session, as well as other Faculty Leadership Program Sessions which are of interest to you.
New Faculty are encouraged to contact Dr. Susan Pollart, our Senior Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs and Faculty Development, to notify our office of your arrival!
Phone: (434) 924-9030 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant: Damar Watts
Phone: (434) 924-9-30 | Email: email@example.com
Please contact our office at any time so that we might assist you in your transition onto the faculty of the University of Virginia School Of Medicine.
The 2014 New Faculty Orientation is scheduled for Wednesday, September 17, 2014, 7:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m. at the Colonnade Club. The Dean’s Fall Faculty Meeting will also be held this day at 5:00 p.m., in the new medical education building. A reception will follow the Dean's talk.
To register for orientation, click here to visit the registration website.
Wednesday, September 18, 2013
Solarium, The Colonnade Club
7:30 a.m.-8:30 a.m.
Breakfast with Chairs
Introduction of the new faculty members by their Chairs.
8:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m.
Opportunities for Collaboration
Faculty will work in small groups to identify areas of potential collaboration in research, medical education, and patient care.
Susan M. Pollart, MD, MSc, Associate Dean for Faculty Development
9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
Academic Advancement and Transition
This session provides an opportunity for new faculty to meet with (and get tips/insights from) newly promoted faculty in their track.
10:30 a.m.-11:45 a.m.
Introduction of Key School of Medicine Faculty Support
Leaders will briefly describe the resources/services they offer. To be followed by a luncheon with these leaders to allow individual or small-group consultation.
- Gretchen N. Arnold, MLS, Director and Associate Dean, Claude Moore Health Sciences Library
- Mark D. Okusa, MD, FASN, Vice Chair, P&T Committee
- John B. Schorling, MD, MPH, Director, Mindfulness Program
- Brenda L. Wilson, LCSW, CEAP, GCM, Director, Employee Assistance Consultant, Faculty and Employee Assistance Program
- Steven S. Wasserman, PhD, MEd, Assistant Dean for Research, Office for Research
- Stewart P. Craig, Assistant Dean for Research Administration and Director, Office of Grants and Contracts
- Christine M. Peterson, MD, and Timothy P. Bender, PhD, Co-Chairs, Academy of Distinguished Educators
- Barry J. Collins, Associate Dean, Medical Alumni Affairs and Executive Director, UVa Medical Alumni Association & Medical School Foundation
- Eric W. Swensen, Public Information Officer, Medical Center Public Relations
11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Lunch with Key Faculty Support
12:30 p.m.-1:00 p.m.
Wrap up and Announcements
Susan M. Pollart, MD, MS, Associate Dean for Faculty Development