New Faculty Orientation Program
Welcome to the University of Virginia School of Medicine!
We offer many opportunities and services to guide and support you on your successful journey with the UVA School of Medicine. During your first year, we strongly recommend that all new faculty attend our full-day Orientation Session, as well as other Faculty Leadership Program Sessions which are of interest to you.
New Faculty are encouraged to contact Dr. Susan Pollart, our Associate Dean for Faculty Development, to notify our office of your arrival!
Phone: (434) 924-4897 | Email: email@example.com
Assistant: Ashley Ayers
Phone: (434) 924-2252 | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please contact our office at any time so that we might assist you in your transition onto the faculty of the University of Virginia School Of Medicine.
The 2012 New Faculty Orientation is scheduled for Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 7:30 a.m.-2:00 p.m. at the Colonnade Club. The Dean’s Fall Faculty Meeting will also be held this day at 5:00 p.m., in the new medical education building. A reception will follow the Dean's talk.
To register for orientation, click here to visit the registration website.
Wednesday, September 19, 2012
The Colonnade Club
7:30 a.m.-8:30 a.m.
Breakfast with Chairs
Introduction of the new faculty members by their Chairs.
8:30 a.m.-9:30 a.m.
Opportunities for Collaboration
Faculty will work in small groups to identify areas of potential collaboration in research, medical education, and patient care.
Susan M. Pollart, MD, MSc, Associate Dean for Faculty Development
9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m.
Academic Advancement and Transition
This session provides an opportunity for new faculty to meet with (and get tips/insights from) newly promoted faculty in their track.
10:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
Introduction of Key School of Medicine Faculty Support
Leaders will briefly describe the resources/services they offer. To be followed by a luncheon with these leaders to allow individual or small-group consultation.
- Gretchen N. Arnold, MLS, Director and Associate Dean, Claude Moore Health Sciences Library and Kimberley R. Barker, MLIS, Emerging Technologies Librarian
- Robert K. Nakamoto, PhD, Chair, P&T Committee
- John B. Schorling, MD, MPH, Director, Mindfulness Program
- Mary B. Sherman, LCSW, CEAP, Employee Assistance Consultant, Faculty and Employee Assistance Program
- Steven S. Wasserman, PhD, MEd, Assistant Dean for Research, Office for Research
- Stewart P. Craig, Assistant Dean for Research Administration and Director, Office of Grants and Contracts, Angela G. Sherman, CRA, Research Administration Manager, School of Medicine, Office of Sponsored Programs, and Sharon Brooks, CIA, CRA, Director of Research Administration, Outreach and Compliance, UVa Office of Sponsored Programs
- Christine M. Peterson, MD, and Timothy P. Bender, PhD, Co-Chairs, Academy of Distinguished Educators
11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Lunch with Key Faculty Support
12:30 p.m.-1:30 p.m.
The University’s Hidden Gems: Benefits
Erica A. Wheat, Supervisor, Human Resources Service Center, Shana Pack-Gangluff, Hoo’s Well@ Wellness Coordinator, Anne S. Williams, MS, Associate Director, UVa Center for Appreciative Practice, and Kristin Grimes, General Manager, Colonnade Club
During this session, representatives from the University’s Human Resources office will describe some of the lesser known benefits that are available to you as a University of Virginia employee. Topics covered will include: Backup Care (for both child care and elder care), Hoo’s Well (a comprehensive wellness program), UVa Care Connection (prompt, convenient access to the advanced, expert care available at the Health System for you and for your family members), Employee Travel Opportunities, Education Benefits (which may be used for academic degrees or courses at UVa and other accredited institutions, non-credit courses, certificates and licenses at UVa and other education providers, as well as to help cover professional development conference expenses.), and other topics.
1:30 p.m. -2:00 p.m.
Wrap up and Announcements